Sunday, May 9, 2010

Ann's Childhood, part 2 1938 - 1942

"During the holidays we would go visiting or have company every night. The older people would visit or play whist and the children would play card games, like hearts, horn or pig. I always wanted to play whist with the adults. One time I hid the cards under my parents mattress so no one could play. After they had looked for them for awhile I finally put them on the dresser so they could find them.

"One year about a week before Christmas, I was sitting, wiggling around on a cream can, which was ready to be taken to town. Suddenly the cream can tipped, spilling the cream all over the floor. Mama said, 'There goes your Christmas presents!'

"I went behind the door between the kitchen and the living room and cried. I can't remember if we got any presents from Mom and Dad, but I know we got some from Al & Effie who lived in Duluth and had a grocery store there. We always got a big package from them just before Christmas. It contained presents, candy, nuts and fruit.

"One year there was a package from Alice who was also living in Duluth. When it was tipped over it said mama. I could hardly wait to open it. It was a big beautiful doll.

"My favorite place to sit was on the oven door. It was always warm and cozy and you would always be in the middle of the activity in the kitchen. When you got too big you lost the privilege of sitting their. I also liked to sit in grandpas lap. His chair was right beside the kitchen range.

"Most of the time we would walk to school, which was in Carbury. It was about two miles cutting across the prairie. Somtimes during the winter we would ride in a large sled pulled by horses and huddle under a blanket to keep warm. Sometimes the boys would jump off and run behind. Then whoever was driving would get the horses to run faster so the running boys would get left behind.

"We had Community Club in Carbury every month. There would be a meeting, a program and lunch afterwards. Sometimes we would play games like musical chairs. I especially liked when everyone did the Grand March, walking in twos, to music, following the lead couple, who would decide what designs we would do next.

"Sometimes they would have a carnival.  One time I won the childrens' door prize which was a 50 cent piece. Grandpa took it away from me so I wouldnt lose it. When we got home I went behind the door and cried."

from The Ann Adeline Dravland Story on dravland.com

(I'm looking for more early pictures of Ann's childhood on the farm....)

No comments:

Post a Comment